Common Business Networking Mistakes To Avoid
Business networking plays an important role in the growth of any business. It helps to establish a mutually beneficial relationship with other business people and potential clients and/or customers. Moreover, it ensures your business reaches several people via word of mouth.
However, despite knowing the numerous advantages that business networking has, people tend to commit several mistakes while at networking meetings that prevent the growth of their business.
To help you steer clear of such errors, we have compiled a list of the most common business networking mistakes people make.
1. Not dressing properly. This is a very common mistake. Most people don’t dress properly and often forget that before you wow people with your set of skills, you need to impress them with your appearance and body language.
2. Not listening to a conversation. People usually commit a mistake of not giving an ear to others during a conversation. Building business relationships take conscious efforts and listening is one of the key steps in business networking. By strengthening your listening skills, you can build a foundation for solid communication.
3. Selling products or services right away. Trying to sell at the beginning of a meeting is the biggest mistake people make. It’s crucial to start a simple conversation, give information about products or services and then talk about selling them. Being able to steer the conversation from an introduction to purchasing while not appearing too forceful is the key.
4. Not following up on new leads or connections. This is another mistake that most people make. It’s necessary to effectively follow up on your potential clients for your business’ growth. If you don’t follow up with new leads or connections, you may lose valuable customers.
5. Being dishonest. Being dishonest can directly affect the reputation of your business. It’s crucial to give correct information about yourself, your business and products or services that you offer.
6. Not keeping in mind that people are there to ‘pick-up’. People tend to forget that business networking meetings and interactions are to help you avail of easy business opportunities and pick up skills that will help you grow your business. To do this, you must follow all the steps of the networking process, build your contacts and watch, learn and hone your business skill set.
To find Yorkville’s shoppers, tourists, businesses, professionals, and residents all under one roof, reach out to Yonge Bloor Bay Association Inc. The Yonge Bloor Bay Business Association was established to enrich the lives of all those that work and live in the greater Yorkville community. To know more about services that we provide, please click here. If you have any questions about networking in Yorkville, get in touch with us here.